How to Grow a Pineapple Plant from a Pineapple

6 Mar

Before I rooted my first pineapple plant I had read several tutorials online about how to go about growing a pineapple plant from your average, store-bought pineapple. After several trials and errors (and a few pineapples later) I was finally able to root a pineapple top for planting. I am now adding my tutorial among the list of other pineapple growers online because I want to include some tips and instructions that would have helped me out the first time around.

First, buy a pineapple but make sure it is a nice GREEN, UNRIPE pineapple that has a nice green, healthy looking top (not a lot of brown, dried tips):

TWIST the top off of the pineapple. The goal is to have as little flesh on the leaf part of the pineapple as possible. Twisting the top off allows for less flesh as opposed to cutting the top off:

NOTE: You can still let your very unripe pineapple ripen. I put it in the refrigerator until it looks a little less green and then cut it up to eat.

Peel off the first layer of leaves from the bottom (the small, slightly brown looking ones) and thinly slice the knob of pineapple flesh off of the top with a sharp knife:

Peel off a couple more layers of the smaller leaves until you start to see some of the dried roots appear:

Thinly slice a little more with a knife until you start to see little dots of roots along the outer edge of your pineapple top:

Now, place your pineapple top in a glass of water so that just the very bottom is under the water and place it in a sunny window:

As the pineapple sits in the water, keep checking on it here and there to see if the roots are starting to sprout. I found that I had to peel back a couple more layers of pineapple leaves as they were getting a little water logged. Add water as needed. After a few weeks, you should see some roots:

Once you have a good amount of established roots, plant your pineapple in a pot of soil, place it in a sunny window and water as needed. I water mine about once a week or when the soil seems to start to dry out. Pour the water in the middle of the leaves and let it trickle down into the soil.

…and finally, if all went well, your pineapple leaves will start to grow!

I have not yet seen a pineapple grow from my pineapple plant. I have read it takes a few years to bear fruit and that is IF the plants gets enough sunlight. Don’t expect an epic size pineapple though! The plants that I have seen produce fruit where a fraction of the size of your store-bought pineapple.

Look at the fruit part as an extra bonus if your plant has fruit! In the meantime, you have made the most of your grocery store produce and grew a beautiful house plant from your pineapple!

Happy Planting! :)

About these ads

8 Responses to “How to Grow a Pineapple Plant from a Pineapple”

1. sergio August 12, 2012 at 7:01 am #

Can you tell me whether this red spots looking like pink calcium deposits are normal or some dye were used on this pineapple to make it look more red?

Thanks.

• Lemons March 15, 2014 at 6:50 am #

Hmmm… I am not a pineapple expert… my guess is that is normal coloring but I cannot know for sure unless I did more research on how pineapples are grown and where that specific pineapple came from. Different locations have different standards to growing their crops.

2. kerri April 25, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Great tutorial…I’ve grown several pineapples from store bought ones…I didn’t put mine in water before planting though. It takes 3 years to get as pineapple and they will grow as large as the store bought ones! You know it’s ripe when it starts to turn a little yellow. You haven’t had pineapple until you’ve have “vine-ripened” pineapple!!!! YUMMMM!!! (My plants stay outside all year and I bring them inside only in deep winter (I live on the Gulf Coast so this isn’t very long!)

• Kathy July 14, 2013 at 7:36 pm #

We planted 3 pineapples like this. several months ago we started to see a pineapple on one. We are just waiting for it to get ripe.

• Lemons July 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

oh that is great!! I’ve had mine for years but still no pineapple :/ I don’t think we get enough sun light year round.

3. Kim April 18, 2014 at 9:33 pm #

I’ve read you should add sand to the soil. Did any of you do that? Mine was just put in water 2 days ago so I have a while to go to get roots. Thanks.

• Lemons April 20, 2014 at 6:10 am #

You always want to have some sand in your soil for better drainage but there is usually sand mixed in already depending on what type of soil you are buying. I personally just used organic potting soil straight out of the bag, nothing else added, and my pineapple plant has been doing great!

• Kim April 20, 2014 at 9:49 am #